Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro laser engraving machine is a machine that is raising a few eyebrows in the laser marking industry. With passaging time, laser marking/engraving has become the number one choice of most of the industrial marking solutions providers. As a result, conventional engraving businesses are turning their investments into digital marking solutions, especially, laser. Let’s check out the main specifications of the machine.
Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro Specifications
|Motherboard – OLM-MAXUP-V10 Motherboard,
with 32Bits MCU
|Add-ons – Ortur Control Box (Offline Controller) – Adjustable Z-axis Lifting Device||Available Laser Modules – LU2-4 (2nd Generation FAC , Luminous Power: 4,500-5,000mw)|
|Firmware – OLF-V1.5 Firmware frame||Materials – Aluminum + Powder Coated Steel||Motors – NEMA 17 Stepper Motors|
|Mechanical Precision – Y:12.5um，X:12.5um||Pixel Accuracy – Adjustable
(Default: 300 pixels per inch, about 0.81um Pixel Accuracy)
|Engraving Area – 400mm*400mm|
|Wave Length – 445±5nm||Focus – Fixed Focus||Default Focal Length – 50mm (from the heat sink to the object)|
|Control Mode – PWM||Power Rate – S0-S1,000||Engraving Speed – 0-10,000MM/Min|
|Baud Rate – 115200 – 921600 (Default: 115200)||Computer OS – Win XP, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10 (LaserGRBL) Mac and Linux (LightBurn)||Control Softwares – LaserGRBL (free), LightBurn (Paid Software)|
|Input Format – JPG, JPEG, PNG, BMP, SVG, etc.||Available Materials of Engraving – Wood Board, Paperboard, Black Acrylic, Leather, Food, Stainless Steel, Power Coated Metal, etc.||Available Materials of Cutting – Wood Board, Paperboard, Black Acrylic, Leather, Felt Cloth, Dark Color Plastic Sheet (Melt), etc.|
|Input Voltage – 110V-220V (Compatible)||Power Adapter Output – 24V/2A||Operating Temp – -20℃-50℃|
Unboxing The Ortur Laser
Everything came in a brown box Ortur packaged all the contents in small foam compartments with extra bagging holding everything. The main Gantry and Y drag chain comes preassembled, enabling you to set up the laser a lot faster.
One of the first pieces I saw was the orange laser protector safe guard. That helps to stop the laser beam from hitting your eyes, but you should always still keep your protective glasses on. You can remove or moved it up and down. The laser safe guard is one of the recent features to the Ortur Laser Master 2 PRO that captures your eye.
Some other features are the control unit this is a lot better compared to the old Laser Master 2 that had an acrylic control unit with far fewer features. They now have made all the brackets out of metal instead of plastic. The focal distance is more compared to the old laser engraver. The Level tube is bigger as the other one was smaller
|X-Axis Assembly x1||M5 Spacers x4||Base Anchors x3||Y Limit Switch x1|
|Corner Connectors x4||Mainboard Assembly x1||M5x24mm Screws x4||M5x8mm Screws x14|
|M3x5mm Screws x2||M3x6mm Flat Cup Screws x4||Cable Loom Fixing Plate x1||Cable Loom Fixing Plate2 x1|
|M5 T Nuts x3||Focal Gauge + Gauge Holder x1||Cable Loom x1||Y Aluminum Profile 540mm x2|
|X Aluminum Profile 460mm x2||Laser Module With Safety Cover x1||Angle Fasteners x4||M5 Nuts x1|
|Laser Wire x1||M5 Profile Nuts x6||USB Cable x1||Wrench x1|
|2.0 – 2.5mm Hexagon Wrench x1||Laser Googles||Wooden Plates For Testing x4||Acrylic Plate For Testing x1|
|Cables Ties x10||Brush x1||Power Adapter x1||Anodised Aluminum Plate – Focus x1|
The assembly of the Ortur Laser Master 2 PRO is fairly easy to set-up. The laser took around 1 hour and a half to set-up the diode laser engraver for me to get everything to the stage of firing. This was me being picky, making sure I put every module, nut and bolt, in the correct place. But I found some issues while following the instructions leaflet.
- T nuts for the focal gauge holder on the instructions it does not say to place them in when assembling the frame
- Figuring out the axis of the extrusion is a little hard on the instructions for X and Y part 1 to 8.
- X axis end stop facing wrong direction I had to turn it around. This could be a small QC problem on manufacturer assembly.
- They provide all the tools you need apart from a Philips star screw driver.
- The end stop wiring not informative I had to change them around and keep looking at the instructions to see if I had them in correctly.
Ortur laser master 2 Pro Engraving
I still have the old Ortur Laser Master 2 settings on the Lightburn software. All I will need to do is adjust the speed and power, then it’s time to engrave.
Laser Engraving Ceramic Tiles Painted Black
The Ortur Laser Master 2 PRO speed is way faster than the older machine. I had to do 3000 speed and 31 power to get the colours to pop, now I’m at 4400 speed and 31 power, this is without even changing the power. Of course, if I increase the laser module power, it can then engrave even faster. The ceramic tiles below are 150 by 150 mm and took around 80 minutes to engrave. Now, with the painting of the ceramic tiles, here is where your artistic needs can come out. The outcome can totally change depending on the paint brands you use. For these effects, KOBRA and AUTO EXTREAM black. If you are new to laser engraving, I would highly recommend doing the Nortons method.
Ortur Laser Master 2 VS Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro
The Advanced Motherboard
KM1：The OLM-PRO-V10 Motherboard has a safer 24V electric system could support the powerful laser module, also more add-ons.
KM2：Laser Master 2 Pro is armed with the OLM-PRO-V10 Motherboard, the 3rd generation laser motherboard has more features. It supports flame detector, emergency stop button and Ortur Offline Control Box.
The Updated Firmware
KM1：Ortur Laser 1.5 Firmware could support more features, such as flame detector, emergency stop button, Ortur Offline Control Box.
KM2：Ortur Laser 1.5 Firmware has optimized the motion algorithm to support the faster speed engraving from 4,000mm/min to 10,000mm/min.
2nd Generation FAC laser module
KM1：LU2-4 is armed with a customized Lens System, has optimized the design of the beam waist of incident beams, object distance and lens parameters. It could cut 4mm plywood one pass and 6mm pine board one pass.
KM2：LU2-4 is the 2nd Generation FAC laser module. It has compressed its focus spot from 0.230.23mm (1st Generation FAC laser module) to be 0.080.15mm.
Optimized Structure Design
KM1：More add-ons are available, such as Z-axis Lifting Device, Ortur Offline Control Box.
KM2：Specific industrial cable and Drag Chain for excellent arrangement of wires
KM3：Mechanical Structure (Motion Structure) has been improved based on laser master 2, to support the faster speed carving / long-time working, it’s strong and durable.
There is quite a lot different on the Ortur Laser Master 2 PRO compared to its predecessor the Laser Master 2. The main things being safety, a more finished product and speed. Down below, I will state the differences I have found there are probably a lot more.
- Y drag chain
- All metal brackets
- Extrusion has rulers
- Control unit is more finished with a port for offline control emergency stop button and a light for the flame detector
- X axis tensioner
- X motor now moved to right-hand side Ortur Laser Module, a lot smaller
- Earthed from laser to frame
- Z axis adjust has 1 screw on each side to set your focal distance
- Bigger focal distance
- Focal guide holder
- 24 volt 2 amp compared to 12v 3amp
- Laser Master 2 Pro is armed with the OLM-PRO-v10 motherboard the 3rd generation laser motherboard it supports flame detection, emergency stop and Ortur offline control box.
- Ortur laser 1.5 firmware has optimised the motion algorithm to support faster speed engraving from 4000mm/min to 9000mm/min
- The laser module comes with an adjustable safety cover which can be adjusted up and down according to your requirements
- They have improved mechanical structure based on the laser master 2 to support faster speed carving / long operating time strong and durable.
Ortur Laser Master 2 Gallery
Why Buy An Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro
We at Inov3d would recommend that this is a moderate-level engraver that can be used to engrave on moderately sized objects with a good level of precision. As this is an ongoing review, this is just a conclusion of what I think of this diode laser engraver so far. With all the added features and not a dramatic price difference. This is by far better than the Ortur Laser Master 2, that engraver / cutter was already a great machine.
OLM-PRO-V10 motherboard, with 32-bit MCU +24V Circuit
- 32Bits MCU has the much higher frequency than 8 Bits MCU, arithmetic speed is faster, the operation is smoother, the engraving & cutting precision is higher.
- It could support any baud rate, save some delays due to command transmission, increase the engraving speed.
- Ortur Laser 1.5 series firmware.
- flame detection function.
- emergency stop button.
- Ortur Offline Control Box.
- The 24V Circuit is a safer electric system, it could could support the powerful laser module, and more add ons.
Ortur Laser 1.5 series firmware
- They upgraded the firmware based on Ortur Laser 1.4 firmware. Ortur Laser 1.5 Firmware has optimized the motion algorithm to support the faster speed engraving from 4000mm/min to 9000mm/min.
- Support more add-ons, such as Ortur offline control box, also more add-ons are on the way.
More safety features
- Active Position Protection: When the machine is displaced or tilted, it would automatically stops the laser to prevent damage caused by the laser shot out of the target.
- Laser Beam Safety Guard: When the machine or computer from crashing during the engraving process, it would automatically stop the laser.
- Exposure Duration Detection and Limitation: When the motors have no movement for a while, it would automatically stop the laser.
- Flame detector + buzzer alarm: When the detector detects the flame, the buzzer alarm would sound and light alarm.
- Emergency Stop Button: Any emergency, you could press the emergency stop button.
LU2-4 Second Generation FAC Laser Module
LU2-4 FAC laser module (electric power: 20W, optical power: 4.5-5.5W, 2nd-generation FAC design, focal spot has been compressed to 0.08*0.15mm) can cut 4mm plywood and 6mm pine board at one pass. It’s also armed with a laser shield, and very easy to use!
Ortur is the TOP brand of diode laser. There are many Ortur Users Communities on the Internet, which is convenient for novices to exchange and learn.
- Many Reviewers have posted Ortur Laser Engravers’ reviewing and tutorial videos on YouTube, and have achieved excellent views.
- Ortur Official User Group on Facebook has over 15,000 members. Users often communicate and learn, and they are very active.
- LaserGRBL is the world’s most popular free and open source laser control software. LaserGRBL fully tested the Ortur laser engravers. Has built-in the parameters of the Ortur laser engravers, which are convenient for users to use.
At the beginning of the design of the Ortur laser engravers, it fully considered the different needs of different user groups, and designed different accessories for this purpose:
- Ortur Offline Control Box (You could convert the pictures into Gcode files and save in the TF card, then insert the TF card into the Ortur offline control box to let the machine engrave offline. You could also use the Wi-Fi function of the offline control box to replace the USB cable to connect the computer and laser engraver.)
- Z-axis Lifting Device (Very convenient to use this device to adjust the focal spot, but it will increase the weight of the laser head and affect the engraving speed.)
- YRR2.0 Y-axis Rotary Roller (this device is required for engraving cylinders)
- Full-enclosure Casing (If your working space is not enclosed, you need to purchase this Full-enclosure Casing to fully protect the machine and prevent any visitor from touching the machine)
- More add-ons are on the way.
Where To Buy An Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro
The Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro is being offered at a price of USD 449.99 at Made The Best. Also, you can check out the website for the latest updates regarding the laser machine.