Table of Contents
Ortur introduced its Ortur Laser Master 3 (OLM 3) laser cutting machine to the market earlier this year. The laser master 3 has a lot of promise as far as its appearance is concerned. There is a lot of hype around this product that says it is designed to be faster, more precise, and easier to use than ever before. Ortur’s direct engraving features have been improved in order to make them even more effective and to save users’ time. I would like to share with you a few of the features and specifications of the OLM 3 without further ado, so let’s get started right away.
Features and Specifications of Ortur Laser Master 3
|OUTPUT POWER||TRUE 10W||ENGRAVING SPEED||20000mm/min|
|ENGRAVING AREA||400*400mm||MACHINE SIZE||580*550*150mm|
|SPOT SIZE||0.05*0.1mm||LASER WAVELENGTH||455±5nm|
|MOTHER BOARD||OLM-ESP-PRO-V2.4||MOTOR||42X60 Y Stepper Motor 42X40 X Stepper Motor|
|PRODUCT MATERIALS||70% Aluminum + 15% Steel + 5% Plastic + 5% Brass + 5% Others||CONTROL SOFTWARE||LaserGRBL/LightBurn/Laser Explorer|
These design improvements are as follows:
- OLM 3 has been redesigned to make the center of gravity as close to the ground as possible. This ensures that there are lesser vibrations in the machine and that the engraving is improved.
- The extremely lightweight laser module increases the cooling efficiency of the module, which ensures a high speed of engraving.
- With the new and improved motherboard and firmware, the data transfer rate has increased, thus, increasing the engraving speed.
- The stepper driver is TMC 2209 which is the latest and most durable in the market for this category of engravers. Ultimately, there is less noise, high torque, and no switching homing which ensures that the engraving speed is high.
- The OLM 3 is a smart laser engraving machine which provides multiple enhanced features to connect the engraver remotely and perform engraving.
- The AI offers direct image engraving
- The YRR and Y-axis motor are switchable without having to remove the connections of the Y-axis motor.
- A built-in foldable focus rod is available to adjust the focus of the laser.
As per Ortur’s claims, the Master 3 engraver has a new and improved laser motherboard and a more robust firmware than the previous versions. The V2.0 series Smart Laser Firmware (OLM-ESP-PRO-V2.4) allows you to work swiftly and with ease while working with the laser engraver. Also, the 11th Generation Laser Motherboard has all the features that you need to engrave with speed and efficiency.
Furthermore, focal spot of 0.05 x 0.1 mm and has a field depth of 8 mm. As per the claim, the 10W laser can cut up to a depth of 30 mm (depending on the material). This means that now the engraver can cut and engrave a wide variety of items.
Safety is a very important aspect of laser engraver machines. Ortur, as per its claims, has paid special attention to the safety features of the laser engraver. This ensures and increases the reliability and usability of the engraver. A few of the safety features of the laser engraver are as follows:
- Safety switch to lock the engraver unless a user unlocks it. Making it safe from accidental operation.
- The engraver has an active position and sloping position protection, whereby, the machine will stop in case any operation goes wrong in the position of the machine.
- Voltage and current safety control features protect the machine and the users from malfunction if there is any fluctuation in the power supply.
- Duration exposure safety feature secures the users from overexposure to the laser.
- The emergency stop button enables you to turn the machine off if you think any system has malfunctioned.
- Remote monitoring and switching are available through the software.
Therefore, keeping in view all the safety features above, Ortur claims its Master 3 laser engraver is very safe to use and perfect for an industrial application.
Ortur has developed software for easy and swift operation of the engraver; Laser Explorer. Laser Explorer app is easy, yet with high utility and features. Therefore, you can now use the engraver with the help of an app. The Laser Explorer is available on iOS and Android. Ortur claims, that with the help of the Laser Explorer you can just take an image and send it to the engraver, and, Voila! your engraver will start working on the design. The app offers easy and professional modes that ensure that all types of users find the app useful and make full use of it. You can download the user manual for Laser Explorer here.
In addition, you can add the designs through USB, SD Card, Wifi and other options. The Ortur Laser Master 3 is intelligent and lets you know about the schedule of maintenance for the engraver to stay in its prime form.
The precision as per claim of Ortur is 0.01 mm. This gives immense power to the users to engrave designs that are intricate and complex. With this level of freedom, you can engrave artistic and complex designs on any surface. Furthermore, you get the freedom to engrave in narrow and thin borders.
With regards to the engraving speed, the Master 3 engraver offers 20,000 mm per minute. This speed is formidable for an engraver of this category. When compared with its competitors, you get a formidable speed for engraving. Ortur claims that it had made some basic changes to the design to ensure that the engraving speed is high and up to 20, 000 mm/min.
Ortur is currently offering 2 software for operation with the Master 3 Laser Engraver namely, Laser GRBL and Lightburn.
The LaserGRBL is free software that provides multiple features for beginners as well as experts to get going with the laser engraver. Furthermore, the software is available only for windows and does not operate on Mac. You can download the LaserGRBL here. However, Lightburn is a paid software that needs to be purchased by the user.
You can also use Lightburn with the engraver. The software can be downloaded on the links below:
Laser Engraving Platform
The LEP 1 can provide a platform ideal for supporting the surface you are engraving on. Furthermore, it helps in avoiding smoke accumulation which is a very common feature when using ordinary honeycomb boards.
Motorized Z-Axis Lift (Will be released in August according to Ortur)
As per the claim of Ortur, they will be launching a Z stroke of 50 mm in August. This will enable you to cut and engrave deeper into thicker material surfaces.
Foldable Protective casing (expected to release in August)
The fireproof cloth and plastic will ensure that the heat is contained within the engraving machine and does not become a hazard to the environment.
Y-Axis extended kit (expected to release in August)
The Y-axis extension kit will enhance the Y-axis travel to 800 mm x 400 mm.
DEWALLIE Air Pump For All Cut Laser Engraving Machines
- Air Assist Pump with Large Airflow – DEWALLIE air assist equipped with adjustable airflow from 0 to 16L/min, which can effectively suppress the smoke and dust generated during laser cutter to help engraver cut faster and deeper. It can increase laser efficiency to save your time. The 16L/min airflow is enough for engraving. If the airflow is too high, it may over burn.
- Wide Compatibility Air Pump – This air pump is designed for 95% laser engraver in the market (As long as the size of your laser head is 40mm*40mm). There is an air assist nozzle with tube, a 4mm diameter air tube connector, a 8mm diameter air tube connector and a power adapter, which makes it possible to work well for most laser cutter.
- Portable and Easy Installation Air Assist Accessories – DEWALLIE air pump is designed for laser engraver air assist system. The air pump is in portable size and light weight so that it can be taken to anywhere conveniently and will not take up much space. Reference to the user manual, you can simply plug and use this air pump, which is an ideal choice for your first air pump.
- A Protection for Your Laser Head – DEWALLIE air-assist accessories can blow away the acceptable debris and smoke generated during the laser head’s work to protect the leaser head’s lens from contamination, which can greatly improve the laser head’s longevity and the laser engraver’s cutting efficiency.
Ortur YRR2.0 Rotary Roller For Engraving Cylindrical Objects
- Motor: 42 Stepper Motor
- Material: Aluminum + Acrylic + Plastic
- Control Cable: 500mm 4Pin Wiring Harness, with PH-06 Female Connector + PH-06 Male Connector
- Width Adjustment: 7 Gear Positions
- Available Laser Engravers: Most kind of Desktop Laser Engravers
- Y-roller can realize 7 gear adjustments to support cylinders of different sizes
DEWALLIE Honeycomb Laser Bed 440x440x22mm For Engraver
- Better for Cutting: DEWALLIE Laser Honeycomb Bed adopts a honeycomb design, the honeycomb shape is properly spaced, which can exhaust smoke more effectively when engraving, the edges of cut wood or other materials are clean and neat, not easy to be laser burned or to yellow with smoke. Eventually, you will achieve a good cutting job.
- Double Protection: DEWALLIE Honeycomb Panel is protected by a sturdy frame. WE ADDED an aluminum plate to protect your desktop from laser damage. We ALSO ADDED additional protective covers at the four corners to prevent your hands from being in any potential danger.
- Superior Quality: The honeycomb working table is made of high-quality aluminum honeycomb, metal pillars, and a frame, which is not only strong and durable but also not easy to rust. With Fine Workmanship, the honeycomb surface is smooth and flat, the honeycomb holes are uniform in size. It accelerates the emission of smoke and achieves a better cutting effect. It is an indispensable part of laser cutting and engraving machines.
- Quick Measurement: The honeycomb work bed dimension is 17.32 x 17.32 x 0.87 inches(440 x 440 x 22mm ) and its work area measures 15.75 x 15.75 inches(400 x 400mm). Precision scales are added to the x and Y axes on the edge of the honeycomb bed for quick measurement of engraved objects.
- Wide Application: This Laser Cutting Honeycomb Working Table Board is perfectly suitable for CO2 and Diode Laser Engraver Cutting Machine, Fiber laser engraving machines, etc. It can also be compatible with other engraving machines, as long as the size is appropriate.
Listed below are recommendations for the following materials that you may find useful: (LINK)
- Basswood Plywood
- Pine Board
- Paulownia Board
- Gray Cardboard
- White Cardboard
- Corrugated Board
- Black Acrylic
- Epoxy Board
- PolyVinyl Chloride
- Cork Coaster
- Stainless Nameplate
- Stainless Steel
- Scratch Paper
- Ceramics（laser color paper on it）
- Coated Metal Card
- Cowhide Leather Bag
- Phone Case
Ortur Laser Master 3 Review
In the laser engraver market, Ortur is known for making some of the most affordable laser engravers currently available. In our experience, we have used both the Laser Master 2 and the Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro – and we can tell you they are both excellent products. Since Ortur Laser Master 3 just recently appeared on the market, we had to check out how the brand-new version was performing to find out if it was worth the investment. As part of our Ortur Laser Master 3 review, we tested the performance of this budget-friendly laser engraver and some of the most popular accessories, so you can make an informed decision about whether you would like to upgrade your laser with these items, too. During our trials, we will be testing the YRR rotary laser module for engraving on curved surfaces, the air assist system, as well as the honeycomb table with an aluminum plate mounted on it at some point, as part of our investigations.
Ortur Laser Master 3 Unboxing and Assembly
In total, the Ortur Laser Master 3 weighs 6.5 kg and is compactly packaged for easy transportation. Upon receiving the Laser Master 3, you will receive a handbook that contains a full breakdown of the parts list in every language you can imagine. The only thing to note is that it does not come with a paper instruction manual. There is a reason for this, which is to save the environment by eliminating the paper instruction manual from their product. Instead, you download the information as a PDF file from their website. It may not be ideal if you do not have a reliable internet connection, as this might be frustrating in some cases.
It only took about 30 minutes for the assembly to be completed, although the first step may be difficult for the inexperienced to do on their own. There is a wire that needs to be threaded through the left side chassis piece, so matching it up with the 4x8mm nut is difficult. Other than that, everything else is rather easy to do. There have been a few changes with the updated version, mainly a more intuitive way for you to build the chassis and belts. In addition, there is a more organized wiring system compared to the old Ortur Laser Master 2 Pro. Once the device was turned on, I then updated the firmware, a process that you may also need to carry out if you experience any issues. As soon as you have downloaded the firmware from Ortur’s site, all you need to do is turn the laser on and press the Reset button. This will prepare the laser for a firmware update, after which you can transfer the files over once the laser is connected to your computer.
Ortur Laser Master 3 Laser Engraving Tests
With the Ortur Laser Master 3 laser engraver, it is possible to engrave a variety of different objects, such as those shown in the examples below. You can use several techniques for engraving on ceramic tiles, stainless steel, and other materials. For example, you can use Lightburn to dither and use any of the other features in the program or you can use image R, which is an efficient and more effective way to engrave on many different surfaces.
Laser Engraving Ceramic Tiles
As you can see, you can either engrave directly on to the ceramic tile or use different colours of spray paint. This will change the effect of your finished laser engraved tile. Unless stated otherwise, the speed and power I will use is 8800 / 35.
Queen Elizabeth Ceramic Tiles
Elizabeth II was the Queen of the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth realms between 6 February 1952 and 2022 when she passed away. She held the position of queen regnant of 32 sovereign states during her lifetime and 15 at the time of her death.
Laser Engraving Slate
Using a laser to engrave slate is similar to engraving ceramic tiles; however, if you are using paint, you will be able to get much better results on slate than you will with ceramic tiles since the paint adheres more strongly to slate. There is no doubt that slate is a better material to engrave directly on. The speed and power that I will use will be 8800 / 35.
It is with great sadness that I must inform you that my mother passed away suddenly on the 13th of June 2022 as a result of a stroke, and I would like to take a moment to tell you about her. She had experienced several strokes over the course of her life, but this was the last one that she had in her lifetime. It goes without saying that all of her family will miss her dearly. She was always there for us. Me and my partner Lyn Stewart took on the task of making a temporary grave stone until her own one was made and here are the results. It is the best ever engraving we have done and I am sure my mother was there to help us in the creation of this one.
Ortur Laser Maser 3 Video Tutorials
This tutorial video has proved to be extremely useful to me, so I would like to thank Ortur for providing these tutorial videos on how to use the Ortur Laser Master 3. I found the videos to be very helpful in understanding how to use the Laser Master 3.
Gifts and Benefits Of Pre-order
Currently, there are various online platforms that are offering Ortur Laser Master 3 with deals and gifts that you can get with the pre-order. Here is a list of the online stores offering Master 3 Engraver, and the benefits they are offering:
- Ortur (Manufacturer)
Ortur is the manufacturer of the engraver and, therefore, is offering certain special gifts and vouchers for sale from their platform. You can type in the 50OLM3 code and you will get a discount of $50.
You will get a 30-day return guarantee and a one-year warranty.
OLM Price – $699.99
Made the Best is offering the Ortur Master Laser 3 with a discount of $ 50 if you apply the LM3ZB50 code. Online store Made the Best is also offering free gifts of earphones if you order the Master 3 from their website.
The shop has also made a special package for buyers of OLM 3 and is offering the package at $ 775.99 where you will SAVE $110. You can get in $775.99 a set of the following:
- OLM 3 – $699.99
- DEWALLIE Air Pump – $89.99
- DEWALLIE Honeycomb Laser Bed – $ 95.99
Made the Best is also offering another package which costs $ 779.97 where you SAVE $ 110 and the contents are as follows:
- OLM 3 – $699.99
- DEWALLIE Air Pump – $89.99
- DEWALLIE Rotary Roller 360 degree – $ 99.99
Difference Between Ortur LM2/Pro And LM3
There is no difference between their working areas, but the following differences exist:
- The Laser Master 3 offers 20,000mm/min speed, versus the Laser Master 2 Pro’s 10,000mm/min.
- The OLM3 has 10W power from two 5W lasers, whereas the LM2 Pro has half the power, at 5W. This makes it better for engraving on tough materials like aluminum and other metals, as well as making for faster and deeper cuts on wood and acrylic.
- Laser Master 3 can cut 30mm-deep acrylic and 20mm-thick wood, whereas the LM2 Pro cuts around 12mm wood and 10mm acrylic.
- The Laser Master 3 is connectable via Wi-Fi, you can send images to engrave via the Laser Explorer app, and via SD card or U disk. The LM2 Pro is only connectable via USB.
- The LM3 has an upgraded metal aluminum chassis. The LM2 Pro is mostly black acrylic, and the standard Laser Master 2 was even less well-protected.
- The LM3 has an upgraded motherboard.