PLA 3D printer filament has a lower printing temperature than ABS, and it doesn’t warp as easily, meaning it doesn’t require a heating bed (although it definitely helps). Another benefit to using PLA is that it doesn’t give off an evil smell during printing.
This filament is considered an odourless filament. Finally, as a biodegradable thermoplastic, PLA is more environmentally friendly than most 3D printer filament types. This is made from annually renewable resources such as corn starch or sugar cane.
3D Printer Filament Properties:
- Strength: High | Flexibility: Low | Durability: Medium
- Difficulty to use: Low
- Print temperature: 180°C – 230°C
- Print bed temperature: 20°C – 60°C (but not needed)
- Shrinkage/warping: Minimal
- Soluble: No
- Food safety: Refer to manufacturer guidelines
When should I use PLA 3D printer filament?
Compared to any other 3D printer filament types PLA is brittle. So avoid using it when making items that may be bent, twisted, or dropped repeatedly. Such as phone cases, high-wear toys, or tool handles. You should also avoid using it with items that need higher temperatures as PLA tends to malform around temperatures of 60°C or higher.
Check out these PLA articles
PLA Filament by Dikale: low-cost filament – The Dikale 1kg PLA filament is like many other, low-cost filaments. They seem to require a little tuning, and then work well.
- Emvio PLA-MT Matte Black Filament – Temperature advised for the Emvio PLA-MT Matte Black filament is between 195 – 220. On the CR10S I printed at 215 with a 60 bed, pretty much the norm with PLA,
Eryone Filament PLA Black And White – Eryone asked me to review there PLA, and upon receipt of some black Eryone filament, I immediately got to testing. However…
Eryone PLA Filament 1.75mm –The spool Eryone provide with this 1KG of filament is a good size with no cut outs on the outer perimeter, for this reason, it rolls nice and freely on my bearing spool holder.
3D Printz Crystal PLA – Measured the thickness with my calipers in three spots and there within there range of there quoted tolerance of 0.03mm.
Eryone Silk Copper Review: Print Copper for Pennies! – Everyone loves Filament that is different, well this one you need to check it out to see for your self its so shiny.
- Eryone Silk Silver Filament Review – Another great silk filament to try out, this time its silver great filament to use on multiple different types of models.
- Eryone Rainbow Filament – Oh How Colourfull – Are you tired of your plain old filament? Bored of watching the same color print layer on layer? Well, have I got some news for you! Today in this article I’ll be reviewing and writing about Eryone Rainbow.
- 3DQF Anime Pink Filament Review – 3DQF is now our go-to filament manufacturer great price amazing quality.