Table of Contents
SimplyColor3D 2.0 Kickstarter from BigBrain3d is live and already fully funded. Following last year’s successful 1.0 campaign, SimplyColor3D 2.0 Kickstarter was fully funded in 17 minutes!! Briefly, this software allows you to paint a 3D file and then export the multiple pieces for printing. What is the appeal of SimplyColor3D software versus other software? Simplicity, ease of use and smart tools. As a result, BigBrain3D’s software only requires four basic steps: Load, Paint, Convert then Load into any slicer. Subsequently, you can print your gcode on a Multi Color or Multi Extruder 3D Printer.
Want to back this Kickstarter? Click here
Updated Info and Videos Available
- HURRY – The Kickstarter campaign end November 17th! The regular license prices are significantly more. If you are interested in this new software, get the KS prices while you can!!
- Bigbrain3D has posted several (unlisted) walk through tutorial videos for SimplyColor3D on YouTube. Currently you need to visit the Kickstarter page to find them. The videos added cover:
- Icon/Tool descriptions
- Saving and viewing your cloud Gallery
- Loading and Textures
- Fill by Region
- Freestyle Paint Brushing
- Global Color Replacement
- Island Color Replacement
- Model Splitting & Exporting
- Screen shots
- Full painting process video
- Additional painted model samples and previews of split STL files have been added to the “updates” section.
- Several good questions and honest answers in the “comments” section.
SimplyColor3D 2.0 Features and Improvements
If you are not familiar with SimplyColor3D 1.0, here is a short list of the upgrades included in SimplyColor3D 2.0 Kickstarter:
- Split by color: Output in 3MF or STL
- Directly download to your computer
- Now supports ALL 3D printers and EVERY slicer.
- Fill by region
- Global color replace
- Island color replaces
- Stamping: Default and custom images
- Revised interface
- Favorite colors palette
- Save work online
- Model gallery
- Photoshop-style layers
- Custom backgrounds
- Take snapshot
- 3D rotation orientation cube
- Easy help requests
- Built-in tutorial videos
“BigBrain3D is a Canadian manufacturer of MultiColor 3D printing technologies. Our mission is to make every 3D print MultiColor. Our ecosystem of innovation includes software and hardware products. This includes SimplyColor3D software to paint single body 3D models in MultiColor and slice to prepare them for 3D printing. The Retractable Purge Mechanism (RPM) which eliminates the old style purge blocks for color change transition waste, reducing waste and print time and saving print area space.”
Admittedly, I quoted BigBrain3D’s About Us page. Clearly BigBrain3D goal is to create innovative tools for FDM 3D MULTICOLOR printing. Here are their current pages. Company Site / Facebook Group / Youtube.
In addition to this sample, you can find more videos embedded in their Kickstarter campaign page.
SimplyColor3D 2.0 Kickstarter Five W’s
BigBrain3D’s Kickstarter Campaign has a lot of information about its revised software. For SIMPLICITY, below, I summarize some common usage questions.
Definitely anyone who wants to colorize their favorite 3D mesh file.
Obviously for Color renderings; Multi-color or multiple piece 3D printing; Exporting.
SimplyColor3D 2.0 automatically unwraps 3D models. Because of the UV maps, any models painted with SimplyColor3D 2.0 will work with all other graphics applications (i.e. Marmoset, Lightroom, Photoshop, Dimensions, Zbrush, Hexels, Sketchfab, Shapr3D, Keyshot, etc.).
Following the end of the Kickstarter campaign in mid-November 2020. Check out the predicted timeline below for expected delivery information on the SimplyColor3D 2.0 Kickstarter.
Overall, most modern home computers with internet access. To clarify, here are the exact requirements:
- Operating system: Windows, Mac, Linux
- Browsers: 100% Tested with Chrome
- CPU: 3ghz dual-core i5
- Memory: 16GB
- OpenGL: Must support at least OpenGL V3.3
- Graphics card: GTX1050 or better
- Internet connection: 10mb/s
- Professional graphics drawing tablet (Optional)
Quote: The application runs in a browser it is cached and executed from the local machine. Some functions, like splitting the model, do run in the cloud, but all the painting features are executed locally. The recommendation is for optimal smoothness in the app, but we regularly run SimplyColor3D 2.0 on laptops that have lower requirements, it’s just not as smooth for larger models. And we want to set the proper expectation with users, similar to the gaming world, you can run on a lower spec’d system at a reduced frame rate and lower performance, and if you can tolerate that then it will work for you.
In short, it is a Cloud-based program accessed via your browser. Obviously this may not appeal to everyone in regards to file security. Therefore, use your own judgement and refer to BigBrain3D’s explanation below.
Quote: Your data is only on the server for the length of time it takes to process the split/color conversion. Once that is done the completed file is sent back to you and your file data on the server is destroyed.
Risks and challenges
Kickstarter has been around for some time now. It has many success stories and some horror stories. Although BigBrain3D has succeeded in the past, Inov3D CANNOT guarantee the results of SimplyColor3D’s Kickstarter or any Kickstarter project. With this in mind, I personally have received several “products” and am currently backing several more campaigns.
QUOTE from BigBrain3D: “With our 1st Kickstarter there were some challenges in delivery. Those hosting issues were resolved, and every backer received access to the application. 100% of backers received what they paid for. With version 2.0 we’ve already proactively hosted the new version and inducted previous backers to test it. That test was successful. For these reasons, you can be certain you will receive quick access to SimplyColor3D 2.0 if you back our project.”
Importantly you should learn about accountability on Kickstarter and make your own decisions.
Personal Thoughts and Future Plans
Admittedly, I own a TenLog IDEX multiple extruder printer and am backing the Kickstarter for the JGMaker Artist-D IDEX. As a result, I am definitely looking forward to BigBrain3D’s SimplyColor3D 2.0 Kickstarter. As highlighted in my past articles, I enjoy printing scale figures. Unfortunately, I have had limited time or patience since I began 3D printing 18 months ago. Without a doubt, SimplyColor3D promises to be a great tool for creating and printing multi color models.
Once released, I will begin working on a software review article. So stay tuned, bookmark and subscribe for future updates. While you are here, check out my past articles – Mechanical Bob Modrow at Inov3d.net
Along with SimplyColor3D 2.0 Kickstarter, here are some articles and products. It especially relates them to Multi Color 3D Printing and Multiple Extruder 3D Printers.
- JGMaker Artist D IDEX Kickstarter – A Must Have 3D Printer – Michael Bird Inov3D Article
- Geeetech A10T and A20T – A different kind of threesome – Carl Knight Inov3D Article
- Tenlog TL-D3 Pro IDEX Printer Unboxing and Assembly – YouTube video from Zank Garage
- Mosaic Palette is an addon to turn existing 3D printers into Multi Color 3D Printers – Mosaic Site
- Top 14 Full Color 3D Printers – 3dnatives article featuring multi color printers to consider